New Year’s Eve is almost here, but you may have left the party planning until the last minute! Use these party planning tips to ring in 2016 on a budget.
- Make a plan, create a menu and select a theme before going shopping. This will determine what you plan to buy, and help you decide where to shop for items. Grocery stores, Costco and M&M Meats have great pre-packaged food items for parties, and usually offer discounts around the holidays.
- It’s probably too late to mail invitations to friends with the holiday mail rush, but you can use email invitations from Evite or Facebook. A simple mass email message works, too!
- The LCBO offers great deals on various beverages. Look in each section for sales, and check bins and the end of the aisles for in-store specials. If you have a theme, creating a few specialty cocktails can also help reduce your drink budget. You can find great ideas for drinks on sites like Pinterest and marthastewart.com.
- Your local party planning and dollar stores are a great place to pick up decorations, hats, and party favors. Check online for potential sales.
- Create the perfect party playlist. Choosing the right music can set the tone for your party. You can start with lively music as guests arrive, and then switch to loud dance tunes to kick start the party! As the party winds down, cue more mellow music. Use your personal collection, or choose from a number of free download music sites online.
- Offer a variety of snacks and appetizers to your guests, as most people will be consuming drinks. Nuts, cheese and crackers, veggies and dip and fondues are great, and won’t drain your bank account.
- Know who the designated drivers are among your guests. It can be a nice gesture to have something special for them – a special non-alcoholic beverage for example. Ensure those who are drinking have a ride home or place to spend the night. You want everyone to have fun, and get home safe and sound.
Last minute parties are a bit of work, but do not need to be stressful, Have fun, and Happy New Year!